[svlug] Digital Voice Recorders and Linux

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Sun Mar 13 09:40:44 PST 2005

<quote who="John Conover">
> claw at kanga.nu writes:
>> What is the state of digital voice recorders and Linux
>> compatability?  I'm rather attracted to the specs of the Olympus
>> DS-2.
>>
>>   ObNote: I'm not interested in MP3 players with voice recording
>> ability.  I really don't care about MP3 playback, and care a lot
>> about being able to toss the unit on a conference room table and
>> record a meeting with good clarity.
>>

>     1) the external source is connected to the Line, or Mic jack,
>       (blue or red, respectively,) on the sound card

He is not really looking for tape to hd conversions.

JC,
It seems like the DS-2 would work.  It is mentioned that it shows up
as a USB block device.  So, you can take the recordings directly
off the unit.

But, so far, you can only use WMA, not the DSS files.

I have not looked into topic extensively.  So, I don't know about
any other product availablity/compatibility.

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP