[svlug] Install fest and dual boot

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Wed Mar 9 13:22:29 PST 2005

Quoting James Sparenberg (james at linuxrebel.us):

 > If you have a copy of Partition Magic For Windows Bring it as well.
 > IMHO it's easier to use a Windows based tool to defragand and/or
resize
 > Windows, especially if you are on an NTFS drive.

I did just this with SUSE 9.1 with no problems.

Of course before the install fest, you will want to:
* clean up any unnecessary old files
* back up all important files
* defragment disk.

This will make life easier for Partition Magic.  You can certainly try
to divide the disk into one partition for winDoze, and the rest for
Linux.

You can use Partition Magic to create all of the partitions for your
Linux install.  It is not necessary, but a really good idea, to put
different parts of Linux in individual partitions.  You can get lots of
advice on this from Google and at the install fest.

A FAT32 partition will make it easier to have data files that are
accessible to both Linux and winDoze.  For example, you can install
OpenOffice on both OS's and then you can access files after either
boot.