[svlug] SBC horror story

ron@biovalid.com ron at biovalid.com
Tue Mar 8 11:23:42 PST 2005

So SBC is blocking port access for smtp servers outside
their network. Fine, there is a way to let traffic
through, you go to a web site and fill out a form
asking their abuse department to consider your request.
So I fill out the form, without a proper username,
oops, requesting for my account and the account at my
church, to pass port 25. Now they block all my mail
from my smtp server to all SBC customers.

Can you imagine what it would be like if they can get
rid of the CLECS? Is there any doubt that this will
happen in the current climate? This adds a new level to
unreliability, the user may delete or identify as spam
a valid message, and your service provider may do the
same. It looks like the nihilist spammers are winning
the battle.