[svlug] svlug Digest, Vol 295, Issue 11

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 7 22:54:27 PST 2005

Quoting James Sparenberg (james at linuxrebel.us):

> As for Rick's earlier statement.  Yes I know how well what MDK has
> works.  I don't know about SuSE, so I was looking for an alternative.
> If SuSE works as well as MDK on resize. It will be an easy fit.

Here's a maintained list of distributions known to use the open-source
ntfsresize utility during installatio n-- invariably behind some
graphical front-end or other:
file:///usr/share/doc/mozilla-browser/localstart.html

Notice that SUSE Linux is included, in which case ntfsresize is
front-ended by (what else?) YaST.

Notice the page that list is on.  It's a comprehensive rundown on
ntfsresize by its author, Szabolcs Szakacsits.

A tip worth knowing:  If you keep around a recent release of one of the
Linux maintenance images that incorporate ntfsresize, such s
SystemRescueCD, then you don't need to worry about whether
$DISTRO_OF_CHOICE can handle that task -- or whether its tools for that
function are recent.  Just do your partition work using the maintenance
disk _before_ doing your Linux installation.

Doubly recommended for people assisting others with Linux installations,
for that reason.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                    Magnus frater spectat te.
rick at linuxmafia.com