[svlug] open source mimicking existing software?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 7 18:49:58 PST 2005

on Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 03:14:34PM -0800, Margaret Wendall (mwendall at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wonder how many SVLUG members have used the original Netscape
> browser? It looked a lot like today's versions, but was freeware and
> didn't do much except get a GUI browser on line. It wasn't bad for the
> time, though.

If you're feeling _truly_ nostalgic:

    http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive/

Goes back to 2.02.

IME, versions prior to 3.x won't run on modern GNU/Linux systems, glibc
conflicts I suspect.

I _do_ find the 3.x branch to have been relatively useful, though I
suspect it's dangerous to use same these days.

Peace.

    If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of
    today's ideas were invented and had taken out patents, the industry
    would be at a complete standstill today.
    - Bill Gates, on software patents, internal memo, 1991