[svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG's Meeting Location

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Sun Mar 6 17:36:56 PST 2005

SVLUG Members:

This is, I believe, the first time I've addressed the group via email in an
"official" capacity; the issue I'm about to discuss is very important
to the continued existence of SVLUG, so please take a moment to read it.

For seven years, Cisco Systems has been gracious enough to allow SVLUG use
of its Gateway Conference Center at the San Jose campus. Through the
tireless efforts of Ian Kluft, Dave Masten, Chris Verges, Ben Woodard, Rob
Walker, and the support of Tracy Vierra and his group, SVLUG would not have
been able to grow and thrive when it most needed to: during Linux's
fledgling steps into the industry's daily consciousness.

Cisco's support provided a stable home for SVLUG to contribute to those and
other important efforts. I'd like to thank Cisco for their long standing
contribution to SVLUG and to open source efforts in the Silicon Valley and
around the world.

Change, however, is the world's only constant, and in a sense of poetic
denouement, Cisco informed us a couple of months ago that March would be
the last month, seven years to the meeting, they'd be able to offer the
Conference Center as a meeting location.

SVLUG's leadership has been looking for new meeting locations. We have a
number of promising leads, but nothing secured yet. We will be working on
those leads this month, and will hopefully be able to secure a stable
meeting location for next month and beyond.

If anyone has any suggestions or ins on possible meeting locations for
SVLUG, please email either myself or officers at svlug.org with the
information. We can give you all the details or answer any questions you or
higher-ups may have.

Next month's meeting is Donald Becker--yes, *the* Ethernet driver/Beowulf
cluster Donald Becker (I myself, had to ask to make sure. :-).

Let's work together to make sure we have an awesome place to host him!

Thanks for your time!

Later,
Paul
--