[svlug] Distro kernels

Scott Hess scott.hess at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 14:37:11 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:51:52 -0800, Scott Hess <scott.hess at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not quite.  You can make the filesystems hold more (or less) space in
> concert with LVM, but at least with ext2/3, you can't change the
> number of inodes.

Just FYI, the above is incorrect.  A later post on this thread
mentions online (mounted) resizing of ext2/3 filesystems.  On reading
about how they did it (essentially by adding new allocation groups), I
realized that the new groups would have new inodes.  As best I can
tell, enlarging a disk will also enlarge the inode count
proportionately.

I haven't been able to determine how shrinking handles this, because I
seem to sometimes get corrupt filesystems from resize2fs (I suspect a
problem with my recently-upgraded system).  But I would guess that
something similar must happen, perhaps removing enough allocation
groups to get under the target, and adding back an appropriately-sized
one to meet the target, something like that.

-scott

["Read the code" as an approach to figuring this out sounds too much
like what I do at work, meaning I've probably already spent more time
than I can justify on it :-).]