[svlug] Demonstrations of Linux flexibility?

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Fri Mar 4 18:14:36 PST 2005

Karsten M. Self writes:

> I'm looking for examples illustrating the flexibility possible with
> GNU/Linux.
>
> I'm *not* talking about:
>
>   - Portability (unless the portability allows you to do something
>     utterly cool).
>
>   - Stability.  Unless you can reliably exploit the stability to make
>     something hard easy.
>
>   - Scalability (e.g.:  GNU/Linux Runs On the Zygernack MulitVAX
>     65,536-way TessarProc Zambleflox System with 8 Petabytes AbucRAM).
>     Though if you've done something wicked bad with a Gumstix, I'd like
>     to hear about it.

Your comments on Knoppix come highly recommended. Its a dandy way to
solve HD problems on any PC, (Linux, or not.) See "Knoppix Hacks: 100
Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools," Kyle Rankin, O'Reilly Media, Inc.,
Sebastopol CA, 95472, ISBN 0-596-00787-6. A lot of neat and novel
stuff in the book, (I personally like running routers/firewalls on
diskless systems as a security precaution.)

Also, http://www.coyotelinux.com/products.php?Product=coyote is handy,
too, (and hooks Comcast's 6 meg High Speed Internet offering-now for
20 bucks a month-into a Linux or Windows LAN.) The Coyote Linux
firewall is pretty strong, right out of the box, and runs on a single
1.44 meg floppy, with no CDROM or HD.

Not to mention http://www.freesco.org/ which is handy for print
spoolers, terminal servers, etc., (and works as a router/firewall,
too,) and runs on a 1.44 meg floppy, too. (The configuration interface
on Freesco is very nice, BTW.)

        John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/