[svlug] Distro kernels

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Thu Mar 3 08:08:27 PST 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 07:51, Scott Hess wrote:

> [What follows can safely be ignored by all but pedants.]
>
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 06:51:27 -0800, Jeffrey Siegal <jbs at quiotix.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 2005, at 23:05, Scott Hess wrote:
>>> Of course, Fedora wants to default you to a single giant /
>>> filesystem,
>>> which nicely solves that problem.  That also solves the problem of
>>> things like yum deciding to cache a couple hundred meg of packages
>>> you
>>> already installed in /var.
>>
>> Another way to approach this is LVM, which lets you resize (and move)
>> partitions easily.  Many of these operations can even be done live
>> (with the filesystem still mounted and being used).
>
> Not quite. [useful discussion about inodes]

I didn't say it addressed every issue, but it *is* another approach
(which is what I said) that addresses the issue of space allocation,
though not necessarily tuning/optimizing.  The original posting never
talked about

Also, nothing about LVM requires you to use ext2/ext3.  The other file
systems can also run on top of LVM, although their support for things
like snapshots and online/offline resizing varies (in some cases
they're probably better than ext2/3, although I haven't looked
recently.