[svlug] Distro kernels

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Mar 2 22:45:24 PST 2005

In all this debate about kernels, I'm starting to rethink how I've
always run my Linux systems.

I first started using Linux with the first release of Slackware, 11
years ago, and later switched to Debian which I continue to use today,
except for a short flirtation with Red Hat 6.  Through all this time,
I've always taken the approach of downloading the distro's kernel
sources and compiled my own, after adjusting various options for
drivers and features that I needed.

Is it time to change, and start using the pre-compiled kernel binaries
provided by Debian instead?  How do I know which features and drivers
are included in the stock kernels?  And what about the features and
drivers I don't need - will they bloat my kernel, slowing my system
down?

--Bill.

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net