[svlug] Distro kernels

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Wed Mar 2 17:09:47 PST 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 05:08:56AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm writing a bit on distro selection, one section of which is reasons
> why / why not to commit to a particular distro.  Realizing that a lot of
> this is "matter of degree" stuff, I make the claim that, for typical
> needs, one distro-specific kernel doesn't offer marked benefits over
> another's, or your own hand-rolled one (maintenance and updates
> excepted).

What you're ignoring is that 2.6 Linus kernels should not be exposed to
the naked Internet, because of unpatched security holes and general
instability.  The kernel developers have abandoned the idea of a stable
kernel, so the result is that new kernel releases should be treated as
development kernels, good for experimenting with the cool new features,
but not for production (where you want a slightly older 2.6 kernel with
a dozen or so security patches and bug fixes).

You want to run kernels put out by a distro that has a competent team of
kernel hackers, who will fix the bugs before passing them on to you and
quickly turn around security releases when new holes are found.