[svlug] open source mimicking existing software?

steve steve at itsage.com
Tue Mar 1 22:11:17 PST 2005

Sameer Verma wrote:
> Here's a question that came up in one of our MBA courses:
> "Is open source software always something that mimics an existing
> software?"

Lots of new protocols - only ones I bothered to verify are HTTP/HTML.
The original CERN _code_ was under a more restrictive license
   Note: at one point, I had links to a project that appears to have
         pre-dated the CERN stuff and included bi-directional links.
         Unfortunately, I seem to have lost them.  I believe like so
         much other cool stuff it came from PARC.

UseNet - INN http://www.isc.org
    still pretty much unique

'Associative Agents'
    Rememberance Agent (http://www.remem.org) - probably the first
    Nats Dashboard (http://www.nat.org/dashboard) - the latest spin

VNC - http://www.uk.research.att.com/archive/vnc/
   'remote control' might not have been new, but I believe
   crossplatform remoting was

OS Research - Tons of stuff
   Various L4 micro-kernels http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco
   OSKit - http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit

Numerous languages - from brainf*** to Perl
   many with unique features, all pretty much unlike anything else
   out there.

I'm sure there's tons more...
but it's time for a smoke ;-)

Steve