[svlug] open source mimicking existing software?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Mar 1 21:00:30 PST 2005

begin Richard Sharpe quotation of Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:21:31PM -0800:

> I think that the motivation for much open source software is to provide an
> open implementation of existing packages, but they then start to innovate
> as well. Both Samba and Ethereal have areas of innovation.

A site that lists good examples of new ideas is
sweetcode.org.

    http://sweetcode.org/about.html

    what is sweetcode?

        Sweetcode reports innovative free
        software. "Innovative" means that the software
        reported here isn't just a clone of something
        else or a minor add-on to something else
        or a port of something else or yet another
        implementation of a widely recognized concept.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org