[svlug] multicast question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 31 22:28:33 PDT 2005

Quoting Robert Hajime Lanning (lanning at lanning.cc):

> With a smart switch, the ports that the multicast traffic is sent to
> is limited to the ports that subscribe to a multicast group.

You may want to argue the point with Donald Becker, who (when asked if
multicast might be useful to distribute client code within a Beowulf
closter) was saying at the April meeting that modern ethernet switches
generally have all multicast blocked; hence, offering multicast tends
not to be very useful for that reason alone.

That matches my vague recollection, but I have not examined the matter
closely.