[svlug] "New Disks"

Edward M. Goldberg emg at EdwardMGoldberg.com
Sat Jul 30 16:08:23 PDT 2005

List,

This whole question of "new" or "virgin" disks reminded me
of a problem that I had this year.

Several of the "new" disks that I processed from CDW as
"new" disks reported S.M.A.R.T. values of several 100 hr.
of use.  These disks has been spun up several times.

All of this information may help detect a virgin disk.  It is
also good know if you have a question about how good the
disk is from the start!

BTW:  CDW replaced the disks and paid all costs.

I enjoy the S.M.A.R.T. reports.  They have made my
work installing new hardware less of an "art".  With
this new information I have not lost any data.  I replace
all of the drives when they are at "end of life".  Old
drives are placed into lesser service.

Edward M. Goldberg.
emg at EdwardMGoldberg.com