[svlug] Speaking of virgin disks...

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 30 15:43:33 PDT 2005

on Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:34:24PM -0700, J. Paul Reed (preed at svlug.org) wrote:

> So, after Chris' presentation on smartmon tools last month, I set it up on
> all of my machines, including my laptop.
>
> In my log summaries each day, I get stuff like:
>
> underworld smartd[2238]: Device: /dev/hdd, SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 200 to 100
> underworld smartd[2238]: Device: /dev/hdd, SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 200
> underworld smartd[2176]: Device: /dev/hda, SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 200 to 100
>
> On another machine, I get:
>
> 1 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed
> from 248 to 249
> 1 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed
> from 249 to 248
> 2 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed
> from 249 to 250
> 2 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed from
> 250 to 249
>
> Are these errors I should care about? They seem to values that are
> oscillating back and forth (actually, the first one worries me more than the
> second one, just because the range is so great...)

Have you run a long test on the disk?

My understanding is that it's the test results themselves (pass/fail)
which are most significant.

On a related note, having just done a SATA install, I'm finding that
neither smartmontools nor hdparm do much for SATA disks.  Confirmed?

The hdparm bit I can understand -- SATA presents itself as SCSI, and
presumably has some SCSI symantics, as well as automatically enabling
DMA (the biggest hdparm performance improvment generally).  I'm not sure
why SMART doesn't work, am somewhat disappointed....

Peace.

    The sun loses nothing by shining into a puddle.