[svlug] Font Sizes in Gnome

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jul 29 11:16:52 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:45:16AM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> You are steering Magaret in the wrong direction.  GNOME has a lot of
> accessibility support for people with various types of disabilities in
> the shipping version.  It isn't necessary to hack gconf or search
> developer sites.

Sorry.  It was the first stuff I found while Googling, sadly.

> Click the "Desktop" menu, then "Preferences", then "Accessibility",
> then "Assistive Technology Support".  You can then enable a screenreader,
> a magnifier, an on-screen keyboard, or any combination for all
> Gnome applications (actually, I think the same stuff works for KDE
> apps now as well).

Well, Margaret's main question was: how to make the fonts larger,
and I think in the end I found /that/. :^)

> > The Gnome developer site has an Accessibility site
> > ("Disability access to GNOME"), here:
> >
> >   http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/
>
> This is an area where Google gives the wrong answer, because the developer
> site was there long before the assistive technologies were shipped, and
> most people doing a Google search are handicapped users, not developers.

Yeah, I noticed. :^)  So, where's Gnome's page about assistive technology
for the people who actually need it?  (And should it not have options for
displaying easily in text-to-speech browsers, with large fonts and double-
or triple-sized graphics? :) )

-bill!