[svlug] Font Sizes in Gnome

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Fri Jul 29 09:45:16 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:06:13PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 03:58:35PM -0700, Margaret Wendall wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As some of you know, I've been having cataract surgery this summer, and I
> > have a hopefully temporaty problem with the screen font size in Ubuntu
> > (Gnome desktop)
>
> I don't have much Gnome stuff installed, and therefore don't have any
> real Gnome configuration interface, but a quick Google found a few
> interesting hints:
>
>   http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Using_GNOME_:_Configuration_Editor

You are steering Magaret in the wrong direction.  GNOME has a lot of
accessibility support for people with various types of disabilities in
the shipping version.  It isn't necessary to hack gconf or search
developer sites.

Click the "Desktop" menu, then "Preferences", then "Accessibility",
then "Assistive Technology Support".  You can then enable a screenreader,
a magnifier, an on-screen keyboard, or any combination for all
Gnome applications (actually, I think the same stuff works for KDE
apps now as well).

> It includes a screenshot which happens to have a boolean (checkbox) item
> called "accessibility."  No idea what it does, but it might be of use.

Like I said.

> The Gnome developer site has an Accessibility site
> ("Disability access to GNOME"), here:
>
>   http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/

This is an area where Google gives the wrong answer, because the developer
site was there long before the assistive technologies were shipped, and
most people doing a Google search are handicapped users, not developers.