[svlug] Font Sizes in Gnome

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jul 28 23:06:13 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 03:58:35PM -0700, Margaret Wendall wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As some of you know, I've been having cataract surgery this summer, and I
> have a hopefully temporaty problem with the screen font size in Ubuntu
> (Gnome desktop)

I don't have much Gnome stuff installed, and therefore don't have any
real Gnome configuration interface, but a quick Google found a few
interesting hints:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Using_GNOME_:_Configuration_Editor

  "The Configuration Editor, technically known as GConf-editor is a
  special tool to change hidden settings within GNOME. They are usually
  hidden because they are not missed by non-power users but power users
  may appreciate them."

It includes a screenshot which happens to have a boolean (checkbox) item
called "accessibility."  No idea what it does, but it might be of use.

The Gnome developer site has an Accessibility site
("Disability access to GNOME"), here:

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/

It has links to some themes.  No idea what they are, it just seems
to point to an FTP site.  It really looks developer-centric, so I'm
having a hard time finding any information useful to YOUR exact needs
within the 5 secs I give myself to look up and down the page. ;^)

... more googling ...

Okay, I think the tool you want to run is called "gnome-font-properties" :^)

Seen here (one of the first images.google.com links was, ironically, a KDE
website ;^) )

  http://dot.kde.org/1049415292/1049418683/1049437565/1049463712/Screenshot-Gnome-font-properties.png

WHEW!

Also... setting the DPI you want in X (and/or gnome-font-properties) should
change the font appearance, too, I think...  I don't know much about that.

bill at newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th