[svlug] Font Sizes in Gnome

Jeremy Hunt jh-svlug at frostypenguin.net
Thu Jul 28 16:17:38 PDT 2005

On Thu, July 28, 2005 3:58 pm, Margaret Wendall said:
> Hi!
>
> As some of you know, I've been having cataract surgery this summer, and I
> have a hopefully temporaty problem with the screen font size in Ubuntu
> (Gnome desktop)
>
> I don't want to change the screen size from 1024 x 768, because it really
> has a lot of advantages when I'm using Gimp. I could change to 800 x 600
> but
> that just makes the screen window smaller and type is not larger, andI can
> barely read the screen at times now. In windoze there's an "accessability"
> function that lets a user enlarge the type or make a virtual magnifying
> glass. There's something similar in KDE and i've used it. But I can't find
> anything like this in Ubuntu, even though I've been searching the web for
> hint.

I think what you're looking for is gnopernicus. Haven't used it but it's
available in Ubuntu via apt:

 Gnopernicus is designed to allow users with limited or no vision to
 access GNOME applications.  It provides a number of features, including
 magnification, focus tracking, braille output, and more.
 .
 Warning: Gnopernicus is still experimental; there is no official release
 yet.  This package is provided as a convenience for interested Debian users
 to try out Gnopernicus.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

-J