[svlug] Speaking of virgin disks...

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Tue Jul 26 16:34:24 PDT 2005

So, after Chris' presentation on smartmon tools last month, I set it up on
all of my machines, including my laptop.

In my log summaries each day, I get stuff like:

underworld smartd[2238]: Device: /dev/hdd, SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 200 to 100
underworld smartd[2238]: Device: /dev/hdd, SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 200
underworld smartd[2176]: Device: /dev/hda, SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 200 to 100

On another machine, I get:

1 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed
from 248 to 249
1 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed
from 249 to 248
2 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed
from 249 to 250
2 Time(s): SMART Prefailure Attribute: 8 Seek_Time_Performance changed from
250 to 249

Are these errors I should care about? They seem to values that are
oscillating back and forth (actually, the first one worries me more than the
second one, just because the range is so great...)

Later,
Paul
--
President