[svlug] Is there a 'widget' Konfabulator emulator for X-windows?

Daevid Vincent daevid at daevid.com
Sun Jul 24 22:22:20 PDT 2005

I just got hip to these little applet thingys called "widgets". Mac OS-X
started them, but in some divine miracle, Konfabulator is also a Windows XP
program too. There like a thousand of these little widget/applet things --
all free -- that do all kinds of amazing things from the obligatory
calculators, clocks, RSS feeds, etc, but even more advanced stuff like TV
guide scrapers, and I have one that controls my TiVo!

http://www.widgetgallery.com/

It looks like they are just basically a javascript language and a way to run
them on the desktop.

I did some google searching for "widget" and "linux" but can't find anything
aside from (G)Tk stuff.

This would be a fantastic project for someone with more X-windows/KDE/Gnome
skills than me to tackle. Then all those fancy OS-X/XP widgets would just
work too! How great is that?!

I found something called SuperKaramba (http://www.superkaramba.com/) but
their site is lame and doesn't give much detail or FAQ or anything?! I don't
think they are compatible in any event.

And there is also gDesklets. http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/index.php

Again both I'm sure are nice, but it seems that Linux folks are always
re-inventing the wheel. Why not make the application run these (now
standard) widgets. The same ones that Mac and Windows people are using, then
"widget developers" don't have to worry about the OS it's made for. *sigh*