[svlug] legal problems with cups

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 22 21:12:17 PDT 2005

on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:56:45PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:50:21PM -0700, Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com) wrote:
> > Karsten M. Self writes:
> > > Many pages printed from xpdf or Galeon result in the printer requesting
> > > legal sized paper rather than than printing to letter.  The documents
> > > themselves view as letter sized in xpdf / gv.
> >
> > Do you have Xprint installed?
> >
> > I had a problem some time ago on Debian (sid) where anything printed
> > from mozilla would print at A4 size, even though the system paper size
> > was letter and every time I printed I told mozilla all over again to
> > use letter.
> >
> > It turned out the problem was Xprint, which was ignoring the
> > system paper size and using its own. I never did figure out
> > where Xprint stores its paper size, but purging Xprint from the
> > system fixed the problem and didn't seem to hurt anything else.
>
> More hrm...
>
> I cut out the middleman by using netcat to connect directly to the
> printer[1]:
>
>     cat galeon.ps | nc printer 9100
>
> ... which *still* produces the same "PC LOAD LEGAL" message.
>
> I'm suspecting Galeon and/or its / GNOME's postscript drivers.

... and now I've got something which works:

   mpage -bletter -o -1 < galeon.ps | nc printer 9100

...which prints directly to printer, sized properly.

... OK, and I *can* get that to work w/ lpr as well:

   mpage -bletter -o -1 < galeon.ps | lpr

... which again suggests the problem *isn't* any part of the printing
system, but is Galeon / GNOME.

O dear sweet jeebus, take me now.  Somehow I'd selected "na-legal" in
Galeon's print dialog.

/me checks.

Nope, no parts missing.  I'm a 100% _complete_ idiot.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/