[svlug] legal problems with cups

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 22 20:56:45 PDT 2005

on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:50:21PM -0700, Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self writes:
> > Many pages printed from xpdf or Galeon result in the printer requesting
> > legal sized paper rather than than printing to letter.  The documents
> > themselves view as letter sized in xpdf / gv.
>
> Do you have Xprint installed?
>
> I had a problem some time ago on Debian (sid) where anything printed
> from mozilla would print at A4 size, even though the system paper size
> was letter and every time I printed I told mozilla all over again to
> use letter.
>
> It turned out the problem was Xprint, which was ignoring the
> system paper size and using its own. I never did figure out
> where Xprint stores its paper size, but purging Xprint from the
> system fixed the problem and didn't seem to hurt anything else.

More hrm...

I cut out the middleman by using netcat to connect directly to the
printer[1]:

    cat galeon.ps | nc printer 9100

... which *still* produces the same "PC LOAD LEGAL" message.

I'm suspecting Galeon and/or its / GNOME's postscript drivers.

Peace.

--------------------
Notes:

1.  The netcat is my printer spool.