[svlug] legal problems with cups

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 22 20:11:32 PDT 2005

on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 07:50:21PM -0700, Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self writes:
> > Many pages printed from xpdf or Galeon result in the printer requesting
> > legal sized paper rather than than printing to letter.  The documents
> > themselves view as letter sized in xpdf / gv.
>
> Do you have Xprint installed?

Yes.

> I had a problem some time ago on Debian (sid) where anything printed
> from mozilla would print at A4 size, even though the system paper size
> was letter and every time I printed I told mozilla all over again to
> use letter.

Probably tied to your locale.

For 'C' I find "*default-medium: iso-a4" in
/etc/Xprint/C/print/attributes/document.

Hrm...

There's an "xphelloworld" program.  Which when I try to invoke it, wants
to print legal.  That would seem to be a problem.

... but I don't see where it's getting that idea from.

> It turned out the problem was Xprint, which was ignoring the system
> paper size and using its own. I never did figure out where Xprint
> stores its paper size, but purging Xprint from the system fixed the
> problem and didn't seem to hurt anything else.

I'm a little unclear on the concept of xprint.  It sort of showed up one
day, I've left it alone so far....

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/