[svlug] legal problems with cups

David Hummel dhml at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 18:35:32 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 05:34:29PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Debian, testing/unstable.  Printing via CUPS to an HPLJ4.
>
> A test page (from CUPS admin) prints fine.
>
> Many pages printed from xpdf or Galeon result in the printer requesting
> legal sized paper rather than than printing to letter.  The documents
> themselves view as letter sized in xpdf / gv.

Hi Karsten,

Just a guess, but on my ubuntu hoary laptop:

$ cat /etc/papersize
letter

I believe this file is used by the xpdf suite of programs.

>From /etc/xpdf/xpdfrc:

====
# Set the default PostScript paper size -- this can be letter, legal,
# A4, or A3.  You can also specify a paper size as width and height
# (in points). Xpdf uses the paper size in /etc/papersize by default.

#psPaperSize            letter
====

/etc/cups/pdftops.conf is a symlink to that file.

-David