[svlug] Projecting two disks as one

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Tue Jul 19 01:13:40 PDT 2005

On 18 Jul 2005 at 20:49:48, Rufoo arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> I am running out of space on a disk and I am planning
> to add another one. Is it possible to project the
> second one as part of a partition(ext3) in the first
> one? In other words, can a partition span multiple
> physical harddrives?

I was going to suggest (Soft) RAID0, but I don't know how it compares with
LVM, and you still have the problem that you have to wipe things for it to
work.

One thing you may think about:

If your partition is made up of a particularly large directory (/home, for
instance, as in you have a single disk with one partition, and all of /home
is on it), you can put the second disk in, configure it as you like, and
put the /home partition over there.

I recently did that with a new disk; I now have /music (which I felt I
could get away with because a) it's my personal box, and b) it made NFS
exporting somewhat simpler).

Later,
Paul
--