[svlug] Recommendations for whitelist spam filtering

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Mon Jul 18 23:28:09 PDT 2005

Karsten M. Self writes:
> on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 05:05:14PM -0700, William R Ward (bill at wards.net) wrote:
> >
> > I use SpamAssassin and although I get a certain amount of false
> > negatives I'm content with it.  My wife on the other hand is not.  I
> > need to provide her with a spam filter that will block all spam.  The
> > only way I know to do this is with a whitelist based filter, so that
> > the first time someone sends her mail it requires them to jump through
> > some kind of hoop before they can get through.

.
.
.

> I use a homebrew script-based system developed from Lars Wizenius's
> "spamfilter" procmail filters.  This allows me to build lists of
> addresses (white, black, spam, other special classifications) and has
> procmail rules which check for these in incoming mail and filter
> accordingly.  I've got a shell script which finds the 'From' address of
> a given email and parses out the address.  This is where a console-based
> mailer such as mutt comes in very handy.  To add an address to a
> whitelist, while reading a message or having it active in index view:

You can also use:

    http://www.johncon.com/john/receivedIP/

for construction of databases in procmail scripts, too. For real
time/automatic updates in scripts:

    http://www.johncon.com/ndex/

has worked well.

Both have very simple file formats, and are stingy with machine
resources.

    John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/