[svlug] New question.. not really :)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 16 14:26:53 PDT 2005

on Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 12:12:26PM -0700, Brian Kimball (bk at bk.cx) wrote:
> stripes wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I might just do a fresh Debian install and see what happens.
>
> You might want to install testing instead of unstable right now.
> Unstable is in the midst of a C++ abi change (upgrade to gcc 4.0 as
> default compiler) and x.org transition.  Things are in flux and some
> packages won't be installable until they get reuploaded by their
> maintainers.

By the same argument, I'd actually pitch stable.  It's *just* released.
Testing gets its own warts.  Usually fewer than unstable, but the also
tend to last longer.

Once familiar with update tools and Debian release concepts, moving to a
testing/unstable mix (pinned to testing, pulled from unstable for
critical updates) works well, for a technically-inclined user's personal
desktop.

Peace.

    America Trans Air (ATA) customer service sucks:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/ata-sucks.html