[svlug] (k)ubuntu and root login

Brian Bilbrey bilbrey at orbdesigns.com
Sat Jul 16 14:22:28 PDT 2005

To answer Karsten's bonus question,

The root login is prohibited by configuration in kdm (in kubuntu,
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc) only. So no graphical login as root, in common with
many other distributions. Root login on VC[1-6] is fine. Root login via
ssh is enabled by default, if openssh-server package is installed (which
it isn't in a stock kubuntu, but was one of my first additions).
Runlevel 1 (single user) login is accomplished with /sbin/sulogin,
common usage for the purpose, specified by /etc/inittab.

I presume (without even looking, dangerous, I know) that gdm has a
correlated configuration item preventing graphical root login (and
probably xdm does too, these days).

To answer your specific bonus question, my answer is: "These aren't the
droids you're looking for."

.brian

--
Brian Bilbrey : http://www.orbdesigns.com/
	"Kirk to Enterprise -- beam down yeoman Rand and a six-pack."