[svlug] New question.. not really :)

Andrew Stitt a at t.armory.com
Fri Jul 15 19:39:49 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 07:17:32PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:37:11AM -0700, Andrew Stitt (a at t.armory.com) wrote:
> > distrowatch.com is a good resource for learning about the various distros,
> > if nothing else how popular they are
>
> My understanding is that "popularity" == "pageviews of the distro's
> pages on distrowatch.com", which is hardely a scientific or unbiased
> measure.  Salt accordingly.

Indeed. I should have spread the sarcasm a little thicker there :-)
Rankings come from hits to the distro's individual page. Often the rank
is effected by whomever has information in the news column. When a distro
makes a release their ranking will climb from the added exposure in the
news column. Also, distro's at the top tend to stay that way as people
quickly lose interest in checking out all 100 distros. So the popularity
poll is really not all that interesting or informative other than a
vague indicator of interest from other people looking for distros.

I mention them because they dont just provide a popularity counter
though. The individual distro page lists what versions of software they
have for each release compared with the current version. You can easily
tell how up-to-date a distro is based on this. I dont know of any
other resource for that other than just installing the distro. In any case
that would resolve the question posed earlier about the up-to-dateness
of debian/ubuntu/etc.

-Andrew