[svlug] New question.. not really :)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 15 19:09:59 PDT 2005

on Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:45:26PM -0400, stripes (stripes at tigerlair.com) wrote:
> *sigh*..  I hate asking this. I'm trying to find a new distro. Here
> are my thoughts on the ones I don't like:
>
> - Debian, love apt, but out of date even running unstable :(

   Sounds like you need either more or less rice in your diet,
   depending.

> - FC4, slower than crap, stuff that doesn't work does in other distros
> - SuSe, clunky
> - RH, expensive

   FC == next-gen RHEL, largely.

   There's also CentOS, which is based on RHEL IIUC.

> So, here's what I'm leaning towards:
> - Gentoo, but not sure about the constant compiling or upgrade path
> - Utunbu, not sure how often this is updated

   Every 6 months.

> - Mandrake, seems like you have to pay for this now :(
>
> Oh yeah, and this has to run on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T41) :)
>
> Thoughts? I'm not starting a flame war, seriously.

On choosing a distro:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Linux/linux-new.html

Personally, I'd steer toward Debian or Ubuntu by choice, FC or SuSE if
it was job related (and that's what the job used).

Peace.

    Doesn't matter if I'm paranoid - they're still after me.