[svlug] a course on managing open source...

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Fri Jul 15 16:16:15 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 03:18:49PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > vim license is freeware.
>
> "Freeware" isn't a term with any legally significant definition.  It's
> common usage is to describe software which can be used without charge.

Hello Karsten,

I presume you saw my second email.

Anyway, check the spec file for any redhat vim*.src.rpm package,
and you'll see redhat is defining the license as freeware. I am
definitely not. I could care less. (chuckles ;)

After my second email, I did wonder about the discrepency. I didn't
actually research this, but, based on just what I saw in the vim
source code last night, and in just a few moments of browsing the net,
charityware may not be defined in a legally binding way either. That
might explain why redhat generically defines the vim license in the
vim.spec file as freeware. I don't know for sure. If you care, you
might want to speak to the redhat folks about it.

If you find a legally well formed definition of the charityware license
out there on the Internet, then please let us know. I would take the
time to learn about it.

IANAL, so I will end my comments on this here. I'm very busy today.

Thanks,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer