[svlug] New question.. not really :) (was: svlug Digest, Vol 299, Issue 24)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 15 14:00:20 PDT 2005

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> Who is responsible for Kubuntu?  I'm guessing _not_ Canonical?
> Is support provided?  Do they have a similar 6-month schedule?
> (I suppose I should hit the Kubuntu website at some point, sorry :^) )

No problem.  I've been wanting to know the answer to that, myself.  ;->

http://www.kubuntu.org/hoary-release.php says:

   Kubuntu brings KDE to the Ubuntu world, creating a GNU/Linux
   distribution from the solid base of Ubuntu and the world leading K
   Desktop Environment. Kubuntu comes with the latest KDE 3.4 and the
   promise of 18 months support.

   [...]

   Kubuntu is the result of several months effort to get KDE 3.4 into
   Ubuntu's main repository and create the first major derived Ubuntu
   distribution. It is not a fork of Ubuntu but an official project of it,
   sharing the same package archive and infrastructure. It is possible to
   convert an Ubuntu system to Kubuntu or vice versa.

Cool linguistic hack:  According to the Kubuntu FAQ, "Kubuntu" is said
to mean "towards humanity" in Bemba (Bantu-family language spoken in
Zambia) -- just as "ubuntu" means (approximately) "humanity towards others"
in Zulu and Xhosa.