[svlug] New question.. not really :)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 15 13:50:38 PDT 2005

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> Wow, really?  There have only been a very _few_ things that I've missed
> out of straight Debian, and have had to (or will have to) go elsewhere
> for:  KDE 3.4.1 and some TTF-related libraries (to get around a crash bug
> in Tux Paint).

Two possibly useful resources as addenda to "straight Debian" -- that
not everyone knows about:

http://apt-get.org/  Various unofficial apt repositories.
http://backports.org/  Backports of leading-edge pkgs to Debian-stable.

Although Debian proper contains a very high number of packages, there
are always ones that for sundry reasons aren't yet packaged[1] (or are
prevented from being included by patent or licence-compatibility
problems, etc.).  Those are often findable via apt-get.org packaged for
_various_ Debian branches, or through backports.org for the "stable"
Debian branch.  Disadvantage:  Being unofficial packages, these
offerings cannot be guaranteed to comply with Debian policy standards.

[1] apt-get.org lists an unofficial repository for KDE 3.4.1, for
example.