[svlug] New question.. not really :) (was: svlug Digest, Vol 299, Issue 24)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 15 13:32:43 PDT 2005

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> distro on laptop, just went throuogh my 12 distro oob
> binge again and my impressions R:
> k and ubuntu actually went on, a big improvement.
  ^

Just to clarify:  Bruce is referring, here, to "Kubuntu".

Ubuntu is a desktop-oriented Debian derivative, oriented towards GNOME,
that forks off a copy of the debian-unstable package collection every
six months, performs maintenance on that fork separately from Debian
itself, and adds additional packages & enhancements by Ubuntu's
developers.  It provides highly stable, leading-edge GNOME packages for
which commercial support is available through the sponsoring company,
Canonical, Ltd. -- plus an optional set of the surrounding
Debian-derived packages dubbed "universe".  Each release will, they say,
occur six months from the previous one, and each will be supported for
at least 18 months.  They have, thus far, met two release deadlines
right on schedule.

Kubuntu is the same system, except furnished with leading-edge KDE
desktop packages instead of GNOME ones.  The two sets of desktop
packages can each be retrofitted to the _other_ sister distribution,
using a single command that fetches them from the Internet:

o  On an Ubuntu system, type "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" at
   a root-user shell to fetch KDE packages.
o  On a Kubuntu system, type "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" at
   a root-user shell to fetch GNOME packages.

All of the other Linux & BSD variants Bruce mentioned are likewise
desktop-oriented systems.