[svlug] New question.. not really :)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 15 11:21:32 PDT 2005

Quoting stripes (stripes at tigerlair.com):

> *sigh*..  I hate asking this. I'm trying to find a new distro. Here
> are my thoughts on the ones I don't like:

Having taken a monk-ish vow, many years ago, to stay as far away from
distribution advocacy as humanly possible, I can only offer to provide
installation media (and installation help) for any of these Linux & BSD
flavours, which I'll bring to tomorrow's SVLUG installfest in Mountain

http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros

Can help you with any of those.  Some are even available as live CDs,
which you can therefore evaluate (a little) before installing.[1]

> - RH, expensive

For those leaning in RHEL's direction, I am fond of pointing out CentOS.
The version 4.1 cited on my Web page is CentOS's rebuild of RHEL4 Update 1.

> - Mandrake, seems like you have to pay for this now :(

Mandriva ne Mandrakelinux remains freely redistributable, to the best of
my knowledge and recollection.  The "2005 Limited Edition Download
Edition" spoken of on my Web page is the interim refresh following
Mandrakelinux 10.1, and appears to be the latest.

[1] Uprelated note:  I recently put a special "embedded" set of files
for the Damn Small Linux distribution (55MB) on my USB flash drive:
The "embedded" variant comes prepackaged with the qemu emulator, plus
Linux + MS-Windows scripts to start up a qemu virtual machine, letting
you launch a virtual Damn Small Linux session within either OS.

http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/damnsmalllinux/current/dsl-1.3-embedded.zip