[svlug] Problems getting Palm Pilot to sync on FC4

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 15 10:41:29 PDT 2005

Quoting Breen Mullins (bpm at idiom.com):

> You're not alone. There's been extensive discussion on the jpilot list
> about syncing under FC4. Check the archives at
> http://www.jpilot.org/pipermail/jpilot/
>
> for some hints that may be helpful.

Excellent stuff -- especially David Desrosier's configuration
instructions (testing with a Tungsten T2, a T3, and a Palm Vx) at
http://www.jpilot.org/pipermail/jpilot/2005-July/005210.html .  But he
also says it's not surprising that those tips don't suffice for
everyone, since "Almost every package in [FC4] is pre-release,
pre-production and very alpha...."
(http://www.jpilot.org/pipermail/jpilot/2005-July/005248.html).

I note in passing that he has unkind things to say about FC4
performance.  In my limited experience, that part got a lot better after
installing and switching to xfce4.

Another suggested workaround is to install RPMs from FC3 into /opt !
http://www.jpilot.org/pipermail/jpilot/2005-July/005267.html