[svlug] a course on managing open source...

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Jul 14 23:03:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:54:55PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 10:42:15PM -0700, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> > Hello Karsten,
> >
> > vim license is freeware.
>
> My copy says both "open source" (in the splash screen) and
> "charityware" in the ":help license" screen. :^)

I have a src.rpm here. The spec file says it is freeware.

I looked in the source code.

<Quote>
COPYING

Vim is Charityware.  You can use and copy it as much as you like, but you
are
encouraged to make a donation to orphans in Uganda.  Please read the file
"runtime/doc/uganda.txt" for details (do ":help uganda" inside Vim).

Summary of the license: There are no restrictions on using or distributing
an
unmodified copy of Vim.  Parts of Vim may also be distributed, but the
license
text must always be included.  For modified versions a few restrictions
apply.
The license is GPL compatible, you may compile Vim with GPL libraries and
distribute it.
</Quote>

That came out of the top level Makefile.

smiles,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer