[svlug] yum extender

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Sun Jul 10 19:04:02 PDT 2005

Rick Moen writes:
>Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):
>
>> Simply answering someone's question about list policy or netiquette is
>> fine.
>
>Just to clarify, you classified the entirely generic statement
>"Cross-posting is generally a bad idea, and often leads to problems"
>(March 15 on this mailing list) as "criticising" a poster, correct?

There is a difference between answering a direct question about list
policy, and offering unsolicited advice.

>That would seem to imply that describing what is, in one's view, a point
>of netiquette is not permitted on this mailing list.  (I pointed out to
>you in private mail that the posting wasn't aimed at anyone, let alone
>critical of anyone; in fact it wasn't even a reply to the person who'd
>originally raised the issue.)

As I recall, your comment was made after someone did a crosspost
between SVLUG and another list, which makes it an indirect criticism
of a poster's actions (though not necessarily of the poster
personally).  A better choice would have been to complain about it to
the list admins.

>On May 8, you objected to my describing here to Bill Kendrick the
>mechanism provided in Mailman 2.1.x to eliminate the "duplicate" copy of
>messages often otherwise received on messages that don't munge Reply-To,
>as (in your view) encouraging a flamewar on that topic.  That would seem
>to imply that technical discussion of ways to enable people who prefer
>munging to achieve their desired message semantics is not permitted on
>this mailing list.

I have neither the time nor inclination to dig through mail archives
to find what exactly was said.  But "encouraging a flamewar" is
overstating things a bit.  The point was that discussion of list
policies can lead to elongated arguments about it, which drowns out
discussions of the topics that the list was intended to serve - in
this case, Linux.  When that happens, frequently people get fed up and
start unsubscribing.  That's why we don't want to have that kind of
discussion here.

If you would like to discuss this further please move it to the
volunteers list.

>Subsequently I have dealt with that situation by moving any threads that
>raise those matters to other mailing lists lacking such prohibitions.

That's OK, but remember that lots of people are not necessarily
subscribed to the other mailing lists in question.  I assume when you
do so, you notify the interested parties about it?  Otherwise, what's
the point?

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net