[svlug] yum extender

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 10 18:40:13 PDT 2005

Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):

> Simply answering someone's question about list policy or netiquette is
> fine.

Just to clarify, you classified the entirely generic statement
"Cross-posting is generally a bad idea, and often leads to problems"
(March 15 on this mailing list) as "criticising" a poster, correct?

That would seem to imply that describing what is, in one's view, a point
of netiquette is not permitted on this mailing list.  (I pointed out to
you in private mail that the posting wasn't aimed at anyone, let alone
critical of anyone; in fact it wasn't even a reply to the person who'd
originally raised the issue.)

On May 8, you objected to my describing here to Bill Kendrick the
mechanism provided in Mailman 2.1.x to eliminate the "duplicate" copy of
messages often otherwise received on messages that don't munge Reply-To,
as (in your view) encouraging a flamewar on that topic.  That would seem
to imply that technical discussion of ways to enable people who prefer
munging to achieve their desired message semantics is not permitted on
this mailing list.

Subsequently I have dealt with that situation by moving any threads that
raise those matters to other mailing lists lacking such prohibitions.