[svlug] yum extender

Bill Hubbard kwooda at netzero.net
Fri Jul 8 14:30:02 PDT 2005

Thanks for all the info - I hope you aren't spending a whole lot of
your time digging up a wealth of details and information just to
address my Linux newbie issues.  I certainly appreciate it(!) - and am
adding the yum info to my notes.  I typically have problems in the
"getting started" phase, but if given little kick-starts (pointers,
tips, links), I'm pretty good at taking it from there...albeit perhaps
a bit slowly these days.  Anyway, that's perhaps a long-winded way of
saying thanks...but don't go [too far?] out of your way for me.  ;-)

Anyway, as for the yum extender issue:

At 11:56 AM 7/8/2005, Rick Moen wrote:

>If you SSH in from your Windows box to your Linux one (see
>http://linuxmafia.com/ssh/ for Windows SSH clients), then you can use
>command-line tools like yum in the remote-terminal window, and
>copy/paste directly into your Windows mail program.  (This of course
>assumes that your Windows and Linux box aren't the same machine,
>dual-booted.)

What if I'm running a GUI app?  Can I set up X under Windows and
cut-n-paste from there (assuming I want to exchange screen shots with
someone)?  I know that's a pretty general question, so comments like,
"yes, it can be done -- look here..." and "Google is your friend," are
perfectly acceptable responses.  :-)  It's just that when I am in
email, I can't resist asking.

Also, I think I mentioned that yum was working fine (I've played with
it a bit).  So something is amiss with the Yum Extender GUI for some
reason.  All it says on the status line (no matter what button I click)
is, "Profile Std was selected."  I presume Std is short for "standard"
- and that appears to be the only profile available.  And when I go to
Edit | Repositories, I see only one entry listed.

But, now it's time to sit down and plow through my notes and reference
info provided by you and others (thanks again!) to see if I can get
this thing back up and running like it was.  Or, perhaps I'll get
side-tracked again and go back to futzing with phpMyAdmin to figure out
why _that's_ not working.  ;-)

Bill