[svlug] yum extender

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 8 01:14:28 PDT 2005

Quoting Bill Hubbard (kwooda at netzero.net):

> When I was getting help setting up my FC4 box at the last installfest,
> someone set up yum extender for me, and while I was there, it would
> list a whole bunch of packages when I launched it.  Now I get
> absolutely nothing under any of the options - update, install, remove
> (it has been like this since the first time I fired it up at
> home).  What could be wrong?

Bill, please file away this suggestion, to consult in case, a couple of
days from now, nobody's yet replied with any useful response.  It may be
that I just don't have sufficient FC4 background to follow your problem
description.  If that's the case, and someone else's reaction is "Oh, I
know what he means and can answer his question", great.  If not, this
might help:

It's not immediately obvious what "a yum extender" is, and isn't
apparent what program "it" refers to in "launched it".  Accordingly, it
might be beneficial if you were to start over, and describe in detail,
I like to say that techies are from Missouri:  You need to show them.
Cutting and pasting such stuff directly from the command line is often a
really excellent idea.

FYI, the best resource I've found on Yum configuration is this:
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

You may also want to peruse:  http://www.fedorafaq.org/