[svlug] gnome vs. kde

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 7 20:12:09 PDT 2005

Quoting Bill Hubbard (kwooda at netzero.net):

> Is it safe to ask which is better - gnome or kde - or are thems
> fightin' words?

That would be amusing.

> Perhaps it is safer to ask what the pros and cons are between the
> desktops?  Maybe a link to such a comparison/debate would be quicker?
> ;-)

I think Dan Martinez just gave you a pretty good rundown.  Here's a
useful link for you:

http://xwinman.org/

Just to comment further on something Dan said:

> When people identify themselves as KDE or GNOME users, what they
> typically mean is that they enter graphical mode using either the KDE
> or GNOME session managers. You can run GNOME apps from within a KDE
> session, and vice-versa, provided that you have all of the relevant
> libraries built.

Moreover, you can run such apps under any X window manager whatsoever,
with or without any of the GNOME/KDE "desktop" clutter running, as long
as (as Dan says) library dependencies get met.  The notion of those two
things being monolithic entities in themselves is something of a crock.

The fact of the matter is that, although you can certainly run the whole
marchin' band of either of those collections and eschew any codebase not
claimed as a component by the one you elect to run, nothing whatsoever
prevents you from cherry-picking from both "desktops", adding other apps
neither one provides, and running whatever window manager strikes your
fancy, with or without session management.  That's what I do.