[svlug] Book recommendation

Bill Hubbard kwooda at netzero.net
Thu Jul 7 17:55:00 PDT 2005

At 03:33 PM 7/7/2005, Rick Moen wrote:

>As Randy says, are MySQL and Apache running?  Fedora Core comes with all
>three.  They're either in the process list[1], or not.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!  I'll get there one of these days.

MySQL and Apache are running.  I got Apache up and running, then I got
PHP working (though I don't know if there is something I need to do to
get it to work with MySQL, as the book I have is not very
thorough).  And I got MySQL running yesterday (or the day before?),
though I locked myself out of it after following the recommendation of
the text that popped up when I started it, and set a password on
something.  But I got myself out of that mess (though I suppose I
eventually want to understand the security aspects), but now I'm stuck again.

Where I got stuck was following an example in one of my books that
showed how to connect to a database.  The code was as follows (the
first two lines, anyway):

mysql_connect("localhost", "nobody", "password") or
   die ("Could not connect to database.");

All I ever get when I access this page is, "Could not connect to
database".  No clue as to why.  Are there, like, LOG FILES anywhere?

>It happens to be the case, fortunately, that the three tasks you've
>kinda-sorta hinted at wanting help with, on your FC4 box, _are_ pretty
>dead-simple:

So I've heard...  Perhaps it is getting to know the "how to" part that
is the challenge?  I feel like I'm standing outside a glass dome,
looking in at a bunch of happy Linux users, but haven't figured out how
to get through the glass, yet.  People inside are showing me this and
that, but there is some mental block or some fundamental key bit of
foundational knowledge about Linux that hasn't been presented to me
that would make it all suddenly make sense, so I'm just not "getting it" yet.

>1.  Setting the Apache and MySQL daemons to run at all subsequent startups.
>2.  Starting/stopping those daemons during a given runtime.
>3.  Configuring Apache to handle PHP content appropriately.
>
>But seriously, so far you've expressed interest in only pretty simple
>admin tasks (per above).  Didn't Randy C. Ramsdell give you a leg up on
>that, back on June 27?  Please help us help you:  Let us know where the
>problem is.

The problem is probably me, but it would be nice to have some kind of
introductory quick reference manual that alleviates the burden of
having to sift through a million details to find what's
relevant.  Something like:

Linux runs services, called daemons, that can be set to start or not
start on boot-up...
Linux has "run levels" which means blah blah blah...
To set a daemon to run at certain run levels, do this...
To start/stop a daemon from the command line, do this...
To check if a service is running, do this...
Log files for services are located here...
etc., etc., etc.

I just learn better and faster from paragraphs and one-liners than from
chapters, and every source seems to take a different approach.  I
suppose I just haven't found the material that suits the way I learn.

>Didn't the Red Hat admin manuals over at CentOS help?  E.g.:
>http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sag-en-4/s1-services-chkconfig.html

Not if I haven't seen them.  I suppose I'll try there, too.

>Take care to follow the usual rules of thumb in cases of information
>overload:  Take notes, and ignore all parts that don't seem relevant.

Good advice.  ;-)  Consolidating notes, now...  Perhaps *I* will write
an introductory text.

Bill