[svlug] gmane oddity w/svlug

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 7 15:47:12 PDT 2005

Quoting beartooth (beartooth at adelphia.net):

> I follow this list -- like almost any other I can -- on gmane; and I'm
> obviously subscribed, since I can post. Also the address in the From: line
> is not only real and functional, but the one I post from and have
> subscribed (through gmane, perhaps; I do that whenever I can).
>
> But when I got a direct carbon to it this morning, of a reply to a post of
> mine here, and told it reply to all, the list copy eventually bounced.

Back when I co-admined this mailing list, whenever someone sent a non-spam
post from a non-subscribed address (such as via gmane), I always
approved the held post and added the sender's address to Mailman's "List
of non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically accepted"
for svlug at lists.svlug.org -- so that all subsequent sends from that
address would go straight through.  Most people who posted from
non-subbed addresses probably never even noticed the admin delay the
first time they used each such address.

Possibly, the new admins (Paul and Bill) have adopted some different policy.
(They've been to my knowledge the sole listadmins since March 27.)