[svlug] Book recommendation

Randy C. Ramsdell rramsdell at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 6 22:10:40 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 19:28 -0700, Bill Hubbard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a book (or very good online resources) that is
> actually written by someone who knows wtf they're talking about (and
> how to teach it to someone who doesn't), that will take a Linux newbie
> step-by-step through the process of getting MySQL and PHP running via
> Apache?  I keep hearing how easy Linux is, yet nothing - and I mean
> nothing - so far has been easy.  Maybe in my younger days when I was
> eager to fill my head with a zillion commands and nothing but days on
> end of nothing else to do, but I don't want to be a system admin and I
> don't have time for it.  I just want to create databases and
> applications to interact with them.  There's too much information about
> Linux and far too little distilled introductory-level material in front
> of me.  UGH!
>
> Bill

I usually use the reference manuals for each individual package.

Mysql: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/
PHP : http://www.phpbuilder.com/
Apache: http://www.apache.org/

I know what you are thinking. :) Use these later! They will definitely
come in handy.

Do you have PHP, Mysql, Apache installed? Or are you having trouble
getting things working after install.

If so I can give you some hints to a couple of gotchas that I had
trouble with. i.e -- enabling embedded <php> within *.html files etc...

--
Randy Ramsdell