[svlug] cdrecord on 2.6.9

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jul 5 17:43:01 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 06:47:39PM -0400, David Hummel wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:55:10PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:27:19PM -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> > >
> > > I run cdrecord as root.
> >
> > Any particular reason why?
>
> >From the man page:
>
>   In  order  to  be  able to use the SCSI transport subsystem of the OS,
>   run at highest priority and lock itself into core cdrecord either
>   needs to be run as root, needs to be installed suid root or must be
>   called via RBACs pfexec mechanism.

Ah, okay, thanks.  I probably have/had mine set up as suid.  If not,
maybe I should.  (I've not had any issues with buffer underruns in the
few burns I've made, though, so I'm probably either already set up that way,
or my new box is fast enough ;) )

bill at newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th