[svlug] cdrecord on 2.6.9

James Sparenberg james at linuxrebel.us
Tue Jul 5 16:26:36 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 18:47 -0400, David Hummel wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:55:10PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:27:19PM -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> > >
> > > I run cdrecord as root.
> >
> > Any particular reason why?
>
> >From the man page:
>
>   In  order  to  be  able to use the SCSI transport subsystem of the OS,
>   run at highest priority and lock itself into core cdrecord either
>   needs to be run as root, needs to be installed suid root or must be
>   called via RBACs pfexec mechanism.
>
> -David

This thread might help.  Basicaly  if you used to use cdrecord
-dev=0,0,0  you would now use cdrecord -dev=ATA:0,0,0.  Read through the
thread for more but from 2.4 to 2.6 they got rid of ide-scsi and now
access it via ide-cd ... what this means I don't know expect that Jorge
Schilling seems to be complaining a lot. (Author of cdrecord)

James