[svlug] cdrecord on 2.6.9

Darlene Wallach wallachd at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 14:27:19 PDT 2005

Skip Evans wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Happy 4th.
>
> I am trying to run cdrecord to copy some music files to a CD, but
> there seems to be some issues wtih kernal 2.6? The distro is Xandros 3
> Deluxe.
>
> Here is the kernal I have installed:
> linux1:/home/sevans# uname -a
> Linux linux1 2.6.9-x1 #1 Mon Nov 29 10:12:57 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> And here is the cdrecord command and its output:
>
> linux1:/home/sevans# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0 -audio
> /home/sevans/cd1/*.wav
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
> dependent defaults.
> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>        and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version.
>        Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
>        The original author should not be bothered with problems of
> this version.
>
> cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.9-x1
> cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
> cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
> Solaris.
> cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
> cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root
> programs.
> cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
> TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
> scsidev: '0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot
> open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
>
> Looks like it can't find a SCSI device so it gives up?
>
> Thanks!
> Skip
>
> By the way, someone mentioned he uses Konqueror for copying CDs, but I
> was not able to figure out how to make it do that.
>
> Is that person around?
>
> Thanks again!

I run cdrecord as root. I have run is successfully using
Fedora Core 3 distro with 2.6.9-1.667 kernel installed.
$ uname -a
$ Linux FreePalestine 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I use cdrecord to burn iso images as opposed to just
music files, but I assume the "-dev" and "speed"
options would not be different for either iso images
or music files.

I use the following command:

cdrecord -v -dev=0,0,0 speed=0 TheIsoIAmBurning.iso

I thought "-dev" should have three parameters:
bus,target,lun

I recently read somewhere that if the speed is set to
zero or at least a low speed, it is more likely to
work on other players.

Darlene
--
World Centric Fair Trade & Eco Store
http://www.worldcentric.org/store/
We have created and live in a world of gross social
and economic inequalities[1] and are at the same
time severely impacting[2] the natural eco-systems
and regenerating bio-capacity of the planet. Our
every action has an impact on the well-being of our
planet and our everyday decisions[3] can help create
a better world for all. In keeping with this fact
and our vision, the World Centric Fair Trade/Eco
Online Store provides everyday consumption choices,
which can help minimize social & economic
inequalities, reduce the impact of our consumption
on the environment and help create a better and
sustainable world.

[1] http://www.worldcentric.org/stateworld/socialjustice.htm
[2] http://www.worldcentric.org/stateworld/environment.htm
[3] http://www.worldcentric.org/sustain/index.htm